Several Firefox users have complained that their Firefox couldn’t load XPCOM. Due to this error, their Firefox refused to start up and crashed repeatedly. If you’re wondering why Firefox couldn’t load XPCOM, then it was due to failed Firefox Update. As a result, the files from the new version got mixed up with those of the older version. Hence, Firefox would crash and show this error message.
Additionally, the problem can also be caused due to conflicts from the security software installed in your system. Due to this, Firefox may not be able to access its system files to function normally.
Effective Ways to Resolve Firefox Couldn’t Load XPCOM Issue:
To begin with, there are various methods to fix the ‘Firefox couldn’t load XPCOM’ error. We have provided detailed solutions below. Try these solutions one by one until the issue gets resolved.
Solution 1 – Update your Firefox Browser
As stated earlier, the problem is caused due to a failed update. Hence, updating the software will help to get rid of this problem. Since Firefox is not able to start normally, you need to launch it in safe mode. Therefore, follow the instructions provided below.
- First, you need to close the Firefox application if it is currently running in the background.
- Next, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and open the Firefox application. This will prompt the software to run in Safe Mode.
- Thereafter, click on the Help section from the Firefox Menu and select About Firefox. Click on the Update option and wait for the newer version to be downloaded and installed on your system.
After the updates have been installed, check if the error is still being displayed or not.
Solution 2 – Remove the Add-Ons
In case you’re still facing the problem after updating, then it could be caused due to the presence of Add-ons. Hence, follow the instructions provided below to remove unwanted extensions.
- Launch Firefox in Safe mode by pressing the Shift button while launching it. Next, head over to the Menu and click on Add-ons.
- Now, you will see a list of all the extensions installed in your Firefox. Disable them one by one and restart Firefox normally.
- Check if you’re still getting the error or not.
Solution 3 – Disable Security Software
Since security software blocks access to certain programs, it can cause problems for Firefox as well. Therefore, you can try to fix the ‘Firefox couldn’t load XPCOM’ error by simply disabling the Security Software.
Thus, go to your System tray and right-click on the security software. Next, you will see an option called ‘Live Protection’ or ‘Disable Security’. Hence, click on this and a window will appear. Specify the time period for it to be disabled and save your changes. After that, relaunch the Firefox application and see if it resolves the problem.
Solution 4 – Perform a Clean Reinstallation
As a last resort, you need to uninstall and perform a clean reinstallation if you’re still getting the error message. Therefore, follow the given instructions very carefully.
- First, press Windows + R buttons from your keyboard at the same time. This will open the Run dialog box on your system.
- There, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and press Enter. The Programs and Features utility window will appear.
- Now, you need to scroll and find Mozilla Firefox from the list of installed applications. Right-click on it and select the Uninstall option.
- Thereafter, follow the instructions on your screen to uninstall Firefox from your system. Then, head over to C: and go to Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder. There, delete any folder named Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox. Do not delete the Mozilla Thunderbird folder if it exists in the directory.
- Lastly, restart your system. After restarting, open a browser and download the latest version of Mozilla Firefox from the official website.
- Right-click on the downloaded file and choose ‘Run as Administrator’. Follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the program on your computer.
Now, launch the Firefox application and you should be able to run it normally. Now, you will not be able to see the ‘Firefox couldn’t Load XPCOM’ error. Therefore, you can log in to your Firefox account and all your settings will be restored. Also, run a computer scan with licensed security software. This is to ensure that the problem was not caused by a malware or virus attack.
To conclude, you should get rid of ‘Firefox couldn’t load XPCOM’ error after following one of the solutions provided above. For the most part, updating the software or performing a clean reinstallation will help to fix your problem.
If you’re still facing this issue, then you need to disable your security software either temporarily or permanently.