The Windows Defender is built-in security software that comes with the Windows operating system. It helps to protect the computer system from malware, viruses and other harmful software. However, users can face the Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f due to a number of reasons.
The most common cause of this error is the installment of another third-party security software in the system. Alternatively, it can occur due to corrupted system files or a malware or virus attack on the system.
How to Fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x8007139f?
Fortunately, it is easy to fix the Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f on your system. Therefore, we have provided here various methods that will surely help you in resolving this problem on your own. Go through the following section and try the solutions one by one.
Solution 1- Run System File Checker
Windows has a built-in utility tool that can automatically scan and fix corrupted system files. This tool is called System File Checker. It can be easily used to fix any system-related issues. Hence, go through the following steps to run this utility tool.
- Press the Windows logo button on your keyboard to open the Start menu. There, type ‘cmd’ and right-click on Command Prompt.
- From the list of options, select ‘Run as Administrator’. Now, type ‘sfc /scannow’ in the command box and press Enter to execute it.
- The System file checker will now start scanning for possible corrupted system files. After that, it will fix them as well. Hence, it might take some time.
Once the scanning process is completed, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer. Check if you are able to run the Windows Defender program or not.
Solution 2- Disable Security Software
To begin with, all security software work through the same procedure. Therefore, it is very easy to have one software conflict with the other. Hence, Windows Defender can face conflicts from existing security software as well. Therefore, you need to remove or disable them to get rid of Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f.
Follow the instructions given below to do so.
- From the System tray located on the bottom right, right-click on the security software.
- Here, you should see an option for ‘Disable’. Click on it to open the software’s settings window.
- Specify the time period you wish the security software to be disabled and save your settings.
After that, try to turn on Windows Defender to check if you’re still seeing the error code or not.
Solution 3- Restart Windows Defender Service
Another cause for the Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f is because its process is not running in the background. Therefore, you need to make sure that it is always running.
Follow the steps provided below to restart the Windows Defender Service.
- Press the Windows button along with the letter ‘R’ at the same time. This will launch the Run dialog box.
- Here, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
- Now, find and locate the Windows Defender service and double click on it.
- Go to Startup type and select Automatic. Save your settings and exit the window.
- Finally, right-click on the service once again and select Start.
Try to open Windows Defender once again and see if this resolves your problem.
Solution 4 – Reset Windows
In case you are still facing this problem, then you may need to refresh or reset your Windows operating system. This is because sometimes Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f may be appearing due to some registry issues or other misconfigured settings.
Hence, go through the following instructions to reset your PC back to its default settings.
- From your main Desktop screen, click on the Start menu. There, click on Settings and go to Update and Security.
- Here, select the Recovery option and you will see an option for Reset this PC. Below it, click on the Get Started text link.
- Now, you will various options regarding Resetting your PC. If you want to completely reset your PC, then choose Remove everything and Reinstall Windows. Accordingly, choose ‘Refresh PC without affecting files’ if you do not want to remove your files.
- Next, follow the instructions that appear on your screen to reset your operating system.
- The process will take quite some time. However, the Windows Defender should start working again once your PC is reset.
To conclude, the solutions provided above will definitely help you to get rid of Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f. Usually, resetting your PC will help to fix your problem. In case, you do not want to invest your time in applying these steps or you lack technical knowledge, then the best way is to contact the Technical Support team.