iTunes is, without doubt, one of the most used and popular music players in the world which is used by thousands of people. But recently many have reported about its an invalid signature issue.
Many users started discussing the issue in the official Apple discussion forum. They stated, that when they are updating iTunes form version 10.6.1.7 to verison 10.6.3, a message shows up stating “iTunes has an invalid signature and cannot be installed”.
After clicking on Ok, the second message appears on the screen saying, “There was detected an error during the Update. This has been recently reported by many iTunes users.
This occurs when your computer remains incompetent to detect the digital signature, which is important when you download an application or a program. The main purpose of the signature is to prevent your computer from malware attacks.
After a quick research, we figured out that there are thousands in the world facing the same problem while trying to install iTunes on Windows computers. So, we will explain to you, why iTunes has an Invalid Signature and how to fix this problem.
Why iTunes Have an Invalid Signature?
Look at a few reasons why you are getting the error when updating iTunes.
- Firstly, your computer couldn’t detect the digital signature which is important for the Windows operating system to protect its users from viruses and malware.
- Sometimes Windows settings and security features may conflict with iTunes digital signature which leads to the error message.
- If you are using the old verison of Windows, it might not support the latest version of iTunes, so you have to re-check it or update your Windows OS.
- Your iTunes signature may have become invalid.
These could be the reasons due to which while installing iTunes on Windows the error message shows up on your screen saying “iTunes has an invalid signature, it will not be installed”
Let’s now discuss what are the fixes to this problem
How to Fix iTunes has an Invalid Signature Error?
There are step by step solutions to this problem, so you need to keep your eyes on the guide and learn how to solve this invalid signature error in iTunes. Do not hurry.
First, change the security settings
When you try to download an application, Windows already know it before they are downloaded. Windows detect and verify the digital signature. In case if it is invalid or outdated, it will prevent downloading and then the error message will come up “iTunes has an invalid signature”. So, to avoid this error, we will now change the security settings.
Here is how to do it:
- Start by pressing Windows Key + R at the same time.
- When the command box appears, type in “inetcpl.cpl” and press Enter.
- Once you get the internet options, head to Advanced option.
- From the list scroll and locate the “Security” category.
- Under Security, you will get an option “Allow the software to run or install even if the signature is invalid”.
- Make sure you click on that box to apply later.
- Then hit the Apply button below to save changes.
- Now Restart your computer.
Once your computer starts up, open iTunes and log into your account. Head to Help option which is located on the extreme right of the tab and when the drop-down appears click on “Check for Updates”
[Note: Now you should turn on the digital signature check, or it can be dangerous to allow any files or applications on your computer without checking it.]
I hope the error is gone now.
Apple Software Update repair
This is a quick and simple solution to the problem. Apple Software Update is the application that plays a vital role to manage updates for all of Apple’s apps installed.
There is a probability that the Apple update software could have gone corrupt and it is another cause as of the error.
Here is how to repair Apple Software Update and fix the issue:
- First, press Windows + R at the same time to open the dialogue box.
- Type in appwiz.cpl in the box and hit the Enter button.
- When the list appears on your screen, choose Apple Software Update
- Then right-click on it and select the Repair option.
- Leave it onWindows to complete the repair process.
- Now Restart your computer and Update iTunes.
This process is definitely going to work out if done properly.
Uninstall and Reinstall iTunes
To ensure that this problem is gone forever, you might have to go through the uninstallation of iTunes. So, first, uninstall the current version of iTunes on your PC and install it again.
Note: You should take a backup of all your important iTunes documents before uninstalling it. You will need it later.
- Press the Windows key + R at the same time to open the command box.
- Once it appears, type in “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter.
- Now uninstall all the applications necessary and restart your PC after each uninstallation.
- Uninstall: iTunes,
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple application support 32-bit/64-bit
- Now you have to delete 2 directories by heading to the Common Files
- Delete: Mobile Device Support & Apple Application Support
- Head to the Recycle Bin and empty it.
- Now download the latest version of iTunes from the official website.
- Once the download is complete, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- Now follow the instructions you will get on your screen to complete the installation successfully.
I believe you have successfully completed the steps as instructed above.
Coming to the conclusion:
Troubleshooting the error “iTunes has an invalid signature” is very simple and straight-forward. We have explained the whole process of why iTunes has an invalid signature and how to troubleshoot the error that keeps coming up.
I hope you have liked the article and now you know how to fix the issue by yourself.
And I believe, some of you may already have successfully started running iTunes on your computer.