File sharing has been made easier with the help of the Internet. As a result, it is slowly replacing storage devices like USB sticks, CDs or DVDs. Nowadays, users can simply upload the files on a cloud platform and share it with the interested parties.
There are many download managers available on the internet that can help you to efficiently upload or download files. One of the most widely used and popular ones is the Akamai Netsession Client.
What is the Akamai Netsession Client?
Akamai Netsession Client is a lightweight download manager that helps to boost downloads and uploads speed. It is a product of Akamai technologies and works as a stand-alone program.
Users can enjoy faster browsing, streaming and download speed with the help of this program. Moreover, it is a part of the Akamai global server network that supports SSL security. Therefore, it is a safe and secure program.
How does Akamai Netsession Client Work?
Generally, files are downloaded through an intermediary server or connection. Therefore, a user (receiver) has to send the download request to the server. Then, the server will forward the request to another user (sender) to comply with the request. Thereafter, the file is sent and then downloaded from the intermediary server.
Akamai Netsession client helps to remove the intermediary by creating a peer-to-peer network. Hence, the receiver and the sender’s computers are securely connected to each other. As a result, it provides faster download and upload speeds to its users. This software can provide faster speeds if both users have the program installed in their system.
Is Akamai Netsession Client Safe?
To begin with, the Akamai Netsession Client is completely safe and secure. Some of the major brands like Acer, Asus, Dell, and HP computers come with the program pre-installed in them.
Other major software giants like Adobe advise their users to download the same. Alternatively, the program can get installed in your system without your knowledge. In such cases, it can be bundled with other software that you have installed previously.
In summary, Akamai Netsession is safe and possesses no real threat to the system. Additionally, it utilizes very fewer resources in the background. However, it can upload data while the system is idle.
How to Remove Akamai Netsession Client?
You can temporarily disable Akamai Netsession Client or permanently remove it from your system. You may consider this if you do not wish to use the software. As stated earlier, it is a safe program and does not threaten your computer or privacy. Also, it is trusted by many major brands around the world.
However, we have provided three simple steps to help you remove the program from your PC. Follow Step 1 and 2 to temporarily disable the program. To permanently remove it from your system, follow Step 3. Make sure to follow all the instructions correctly.
Step 1 – Stop netsession_win.exe
First, you need to stop the program’s processes running in the background. This has to be done through the Task Manager. Therefore, go through the instructions provided below.
- Press the Windows logo button on your keyboard to bring up the Start menu. Click on the Search text area and type ‘Processes’. Subsequently, press the Enter key.
- Now, the Task Manager will appear on your screen. Here, you will find all the background processes running in your system.
- Find and locate the netsession_win.exe process from the list. Select and right-click on it to choose the ‘End Process’. After that, confirm your action and then close the Task Manager.
Step 2 – Stop Akamai Netsession Client Service
Once the netsession_win.exe process has been stopped, you need to stop its service as well. Hence, go through the steps given in the following section.
- Press the Windows logo button along with the letter ‘R’ on your keyboard. This will open the Run dialog box.
- Here, type ‘services.msc’ in the text field and press Enter. The Services window will appear on your screen. It contains all the application’s services installed in your system.
- Thus, find and locate the Akamai netsession service from the list. Right-click on it and select Stop. Next, close the window.
Step 3 – Uninstall Akamai Netsession Client
Finally, go through this step to permanently remove the program from your system. Thus, follow the steps provided in the given section.
- Press the Windows logo button and ‘R’ at the same time. Thereafter, type ‘control’ in the Run dialog box. Then, press Enter to open the Control panel.
- Here, navigate and open the Programs and Features option from the list. Now, you will see a list of all the installed applications in your system.
- Search for Akamai Netsession Client and right-click on it. Thereafter, choose the Uninstall option and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Finally, restart your system to complete the uninstallation procedure.
Optional Method for Forced Uninstallation:
Alternatively, you can perform a force uninstallation if you were unable to remove the program by following the above instructions. This can be easily done with the help of Command Prompt. Therefore, go through the steps given below.
- First, press the Windows button and the letter ‘E’ at the same time. This will launch the Windows Explorer.
- From the left menu pane, click on the C:. Then, double click on the Users folder and go to your current user’s folder. Thus, if your computer name is ‘Lenovo-232’, then go to that folder.
- Thereafter, double click on the AppData folder to open it. If you cannot find it, it’s because it is hidden. Thus, you have to enable ‘Show Hidden Files and Folders’ from the Folder Options. You can find this by pressing the Alt key on your keyboard and clicking on the Tools menu.
- Then, go to the Local folder and open the Akamai folder. This is where the software is installed. Now, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on the empty space.
- Here, you need to choose the option ‘Open Command Prompt Here’. Next, type ‘admintool.exe uninstall -force’ and press Enter. Thereafter, follow the instructions on your screen to remove the program.
Generally, the Akamai Netsession Client is a trusted and safe application. Therefore, you do not have to worry about it being a virus. However, you can easily disable or remove it from your system whenever you like. It is totally safe and harmless to do so.