Windows Defender is pre-installed security software that protects the Windows operating system from malware and viruses. It can easily protect your system in real-time and prevent malware attacks on your computer.
Recently, many users have complained that they were getting the Windows Defender error 577 due to unknown reasons. However, it was later found that this error occurred due to conflicts from an existing security software in the system. This is because most security software works in a similar way.
As a result, it is very easy for this software to clash with each other’s operations. In addition, the error can be caused due to a malware or virus attack or due to corrupted system files. So, follow the below directions to fix this error.
How to Resolve Windows Defender Error 577?
To begin with, the Windows Defender error 577 can be fixed pretty quickly. Thus, follow the solutions given below one by one. Go through the steps carefully as one of these will help you to fix the problem on your system.
Solution 1- Turn on Windows Defender
First of all, you need to make sure that Windows Defender is turned on in your system. For that, follow the steps provided below to enable it.
- Press the Windows button along with the letter ‘R’ on your keyboard at the same time. Next, type ‘msconfig’ in the Run dialog box and press Enter.
- After that, head over to Tools and navigate to the Action Center.
- Here, click on Launch and double click on the Security option to expand it.
- Now, you will see two options for ‘Virus Protection’ and ‘Spyware and Unwanted Software Protection’. Select both of these and turn it on.
- Finally, save all your settings. Check if the Windows Defender is being successfully activated on your system.
Solution 2- Disable Security Software
Since security software can conflict with the Windows Defender, you need to disable it. Therefore, follow the steps below to turn off your security software.
- Navigate to the System tray located at the bottom right of your desktop screen. Click on the arrow icon to expand the menu.
- Now, right-click on your security software and click on Disable.
- After that, it may ask for the specific time period for which you want it to be disabled. Choose the time period according to your preference and save your changes.
Once the security software is disabled, go through the process of turning on Windows Defender. Check if you’re still facing the error code or not.
Solution 3- Enable Windows Defender from Registry Editor
If you are unable to turn on Windows Defender, then you need to modify the Registry keys to launch it. Therefore, follow the given steps very carefully.
1.Press the Windows + R buttons from your keyboard simultaneously. Then, type ‘regedit’ and press Enter.
2. Next, find and navigate to the following directory.
Here, find DisableAntiSpyware on the right-hand side and change its value from 0 to 1.
3. After that, go to the following directory.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender
Here, change the value of DisableAntiVirus from 0 to 1.
4. Now, close the Registry Editor and go to the following file location.
- C:\Program Files\Windows Defender
Find and run the ‘MSASCui.exe’ program from the directory.
5.Finally, close all the windows and restart your system. Check if you are able to run Windows Defender normally.
Solution 4- Restart Windows Defender Service
Accordingly, you may face the Windows Defender error 577 if its background service is not running properly. Hence, you need to follow the given steps to restart the Windows Defender Service.
- Press Windows + R buttons from your keyboard at the same time. Next, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
- Now, you have to find and locate the Windows Defender Service. Once found, double click on it and select Startup type. Choose ‘Automatic’ from the drop-down menu. Save your changes and close the dialog box.
- Thereafter, right-click on the Windows Defender Service once again and choose ‘Start’ from the available options.
Now, try to run Windows Defender. Hopefully, you should not get the error code after following this solution.
Solution 5- Reset your PC
If somehow, you are still facing the Windows Defender error 577 on your system, then you need to reset it. Resetting the PC will help to revert back any misconfigured settings and changes that may have caused this error. Hence, follow the steps given below.
- Press the Start button on your keyboard and click Settings from the menu. Thereafter, go to Update and Security.
- Next, navigate to Recovery and click Get Started under Reset this PC option.
- Lastly, choose the appropriate Reset option and follow the instructions that appear on the screen. You can choose to remove all your files and settings or keep your files.
Usually, the reset process will take quite some time. Once it is completed, you should be able to run Windows Defender without any issues.
There is no doubt that one of these solutions provided above will surely help you to fix Windows Defender error 577 on your system. If the other solutions do not work for you, then resetting your PC will definitely fix all your problems. Therefore, make sure that you are following all the steps correctly.